Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A few quick things

  Hello, and welcome to Silver Dollar Value's first blog post in April. Like many of you, we here at SDV welcome the new month, and hope for it to be even better than the last. I know I personally have nothing but optimism regarding the month ahead as I've used up all my pessimism in January, February, and March.


This is the 9th (or something) post here at SDV, and we couldn't be more pleased by the vast number of responses and comments you guys are leaving for us. As always, your opinions mean so much, and without you, our loyal readers, this blog would all be in vane. As head writer/editor/publisher/sponsor for this blog, I personally would like to extend my deepest gratitude to you for your feedback, both positive and negative…it has all been heard, and has been very much considered with each press on the key board. I am very aware of my eagle eye readers, and I love you all. 


Now to piss you all off--


Lately I've been thinking a lot about the world around me and my role as a student, employee, roommate, boyfriend, son, obsessive doodler, and general human being. I've thought at great length about the human condition and how I can overcome my natural sense of arrogance and entitlement. Whether grocery shopping at Kroger or learning at school, it never fails me that I find tons and tons of examples of someone or something being unfair, cruel, annoying, or otherwise unjust. I am a firm believer in the goodness that exists in all beings, but I have noticed that people are getting further and further away from being genuine, honest to goodness, decent creatures in society. It seems like everyone is starting to abandoned their sense of right and wrong, and gravitate towards an easier, less friendly society. You don't believe me?


Examples:


1. A few weeks ago, I had critique for my sculpture class. It was not unlike any other critique we've had, and as always, I had spent hours and hours on my piece prepping it and making it perfect to be shown. By the time critique had come, I was ready to talk about it and discuss how I think it achieved what I was going for, and how I think it didn't. It was by no means a perfect product of mine, but never the less, it was my art, so I did have a little bit of stake in it. Well, it was finally time. The class had finally gotten to my piece and I was asked to talk about it. 
"This piece is meant to suggest the power media has in how we form our opinions... It is an intentionally angst y  subject matter that I feel like I lost a bit in the over all outcome of the final work... I am not happy with this piece and will be the first one to admit it."
I guess one person heard me say something else because the reactions I got were disgusting. One girl said it was obvious I didn't care about my work and that I shouldn't waste their time like I just did. She said that this was a good example someone (me) not caring about his work, and thussly, not caring about their time. 
Well bitch, you're probably right. The hours I spent in the studio both in class and out proves how much I don't care about my work. I should be more like you and just come to class every other time, spend 20 minutes twiddling my thumbs and smoking cigarettes, and leave. You're absolutely correct in assuming that I don't care about the class' time given my constant disregard for other people's art. I mean, what kind of monster must I be for participating in critiques as a fellow young artist, and not as a snobby, pissy brat like yourself. I'll have to model my art after yours-- stolen "for sale signs" and shitty pictures of a church being torn down. You're pathetic you snotty nosed drunken bitch.
(ps. I spoke with another girl from the class about it, and she agreed. "---------- just seems to hate everything…it's not you.")


2. I was at Shnucks (sp) doing some grocery shopping, and I noticed a great increase in prices. For instance, a pound of Fiji apples are generally $.79. This time, they were $.99. Also, generally a half pint of non dairy creamer is $1.34. This week, $3.49…for the exact same product. Well, I continue my journey through the store, picking out the items I really really need, and finally arrive at the check out. I merrily approach L'tesha, the check out clerk, and asked her how she is. Not only do I get no verbal response, but the one indication I do get is an eye roll. 
Are you kidding, bitch? I have just had a long day at my job where I respond to customers with dignity and respect just to get off and come here to get disrespected by you? I'm willing to spend a little more on groceries, and I definitely realize you have no say in it, but the least you can do is great me with a little less hostility than that. How difficult would it have been for you to say something back? Rather, how hard would it have been for you to not roll your eyes to the back of your head? It's people like you that makes me hate the service industry. You're job isn't to ring up groceries--self check out could easily replace you if that were the case. Your job is to be the last smile a customer sees before leaving your establishment. Your smile and personality are meant to ease a customer's grief about spending so much on simple needs and reassure them that at least they can always count on a positive environment to shop in. Instead, you reflect your shitty, unfulfilled life on me when I say "hello". I now understand why people buy groceries on amazon.com.


3. My brand new awesome apartment is awesome. It has the essential things that I need, and even a little more that I don't need. It suits me wonderfully, and really, I wouldn't change much about it. One thing I would change, however, is the utility bill situation. Get this--the bill is split between all the tenants through out all the building. Sounds good right? Wrong. Our last bill was $122.29. You might say, "oh SDV. That's not bad what with cooking and laundry and all." Oh but wait, we NEVER use the oven, and we don't have a washer and dryer…No apartments do…the laundry room charges $1.50 to wash and $1.00 to dry (*mostly dry).
So what the heck?! How does that work??


4. Hero is a term given to someone who is admired or idealized for courage,outstanding achievements, or noble qualities. With this, is it fare to say Christopher Reeves was a hero? Absolutely. What he did to raise awareness about stem cell research and achieve breakthroughs in modern science concerning other victims of paralysis were paramount. Likewise, I would also consider Michael J. Fox a hero. He has raised awareness about parkinson's and muscular dystrophy, and because of his foundation, preventative medicines now exist.
Both these men were stricken with something disastrous and did something incredible. They are heros.
A list of not heros:


  • Captain Sully. Probably a good pilot, not a hero. When disaster struck, he was able to land the plane into the hudson river. That's awesome, but it's his job. I wouldn't take away his bad ass award, that's for sure.
  • Every cancer patient. "Little Anne has eye lid cancer and only has a week to live. Please help her and the thousands of other heros like her battling this terrible condition." Do I feel bad? Yes. Do I want to help? Yes. Is she, or the thousand like her, a hero? No. They're victims.
  • Soldiers sign up to serve and protect our country from harm. They train for years so that one day they might be able to be at the front lines with a gun in their hands. They are coveted by mostly everyone as heros. Are they? Well, some of them are, sure. Are they all? No. I don't believe you can sign up to be a hero, and I know for damn sure that solider isn't synonymous for hero. The brave men and women serving overseas deserve our respect, and I do support theirjhvjhv

I don't even know what I'm talking about. Life is good. Complaining is futile. If you're not happy about someone or something, you can do something about it or get over it. I believe that being a good person and being positive in the end will pay off. Period.







3 comments: